Journal Epohi
“ST. CYRIL AND ST. METHODIUS” UNIVERSITY OF VELIKO TARNOVO - UNIVERSITY PRESS

Svishtov – A Trading Center During The Revival


Authors:
Nadya Angelova

Pages: 260-267

Abstract:

In the Ottoman-Turkish registers Svishtov was marked as a town in the late fifteenth and early sixteenth century. The town emerged as a significant trading place and its port became the center of economic life in the Danubian part of the Turkish empire. The earliest mentioned national fairs were Uzundzhovo at the Troyan Monastery, Serres, Sliven, Svishtov, and others. The town was connected with new roads – Pleven, VelikoTarnovo and Russe, Varna. It was a leading commercial and craft center through which passed the main trading route to Wallachia and Transylvania, as well as Western and Central Europe. The port was the center of so-called “Sailing fleet” in the 1860s and 1870s. The establishment of the “Danube ship company” with a major shareholder, the merchant Nikolaki Tsvyatkov Stanchov, who had moved in Svishtov, marked the beginning of the Danube River shipping. The role of Svishtov’s port as a national, international port can be defined as European.

Keywords:

Revival, trading center, trade, trading company, trade ties, goods, port, grain, market.

Download


1381 downloads since 7.12.2016 г.
France / Portugal / Luxembourg / Cote D'Ivoire / Greece / United Kingdom / Europe / United States / Brazil / Mexico / Germany / Vietnam / NA / Russian Federation / China / Sweden / Bulgaria / Poland / Czech Republic / Turkey / Lithuania / Serbia / Thailand / Ukraine
  • © ST. CYRIL AND ST. METHODIUS UNIVERSITY OF VELIKO TARNOVO 2016 - 2024