Societas Classica
“ST. CYRIL AND ST. METHODIUS” UNIVERSITY OF VELIKO TARNOVO - UNIVERSITY PRESS

The Hellenic School in Turnovo and the Orthodox Clergy in the First Half of the 19th c.


Authors:
Vladimir Vladov St. Cyril and St. Methodius University of Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria

Pages: 119-126
DOI: https://doi.org/10.54664/GUGP9679

Abstract:

The present study deals with an important point in the history of the educational activities in the old capital city of Turnovo, namely the opening of a Hellenic school in 1821. The analysis of the data of its chronicle reveals the significant role of the Orthodox clergy, headed by the bishop of Turnovo, in relation to the establishment, organization and maintenance of the school. By the middle of the 19th c. it was not only the most authoritative centre of education in the city but it also had a leading role in the public and economic life of the Bulgarians.

Keywords:


Download


962 downloads since 16.3.2018 г.
France / Portugal / Senegal / Cote D'Ivoire / Greece / United Kingdom / Europe / United States / Germany / NA / Russian Federation / China / India / Sweden / Bulgaria / Turkey / Italy / Ukraine
  • © ST. CYRIL AND ST. METHODIUS UNIVERSITY OF VELIKO TARNOVO 2016 - 2024